Category: Weird Articles
Published on Thursday, 20 August 2015 00:00
Written by Cheryl Teo Kai Lin
Society sets impossible standards for beauty, and women are increasingly pressured by society's expectations to look pefect. However, beauty is very subjective, and it varies as much as the different languages around the globe. A stock image of a woman posing in her underwear was sent to designers in 18 countries to find out how perceptions of beauty vary across the world. The results are shocking and some alter the photo so much that it renders the model unrecognizable.
The idea came from OnlineDoctor.SuperDrug.com who contacted content marketing agency Fractl to reach out to graphic designers around the world. Some of the changes were sparse, but other designers made the model look like a completely different person. China and Italy had the thinnest photoshopped images while Spain and Colombia keppt the woman fairly voluptuous.
1. This is the original picture found on Shutterstock.
2. Philippines slimmed down a couple of inches from the model's face to her legs, and gave her a breastlift.
3. USA gave the model a distinct hourglass figure with her waist heavily cinched in, and of course, the thigh gap that Americans are so obsessed with recently.
4. China had the most heavily altered photo. The digitally altered model is estimated to weigh around 45kg. Everything about her was changed beyond recognition.
5. Colombia kept the model mostly as she was. The changes are slight; they smoothened out the skin to eliminate the cellulite that can be seen in the original photo, brightened the tone of her skin, and gave her long curly locks.
6. Egypt gave the model a tan, a thigh hap, cinched in waist and black hair.
7. Italy's version was almost as thin as China's. But while China's model looks petite, this one looks statuesque, reminiscent of the many Italian supermodels that strut the catwalk for high fashion brands. Italy changed her lingerie to a striking red, plumped up her breasts, gave her a belly-button ring and changed the positioning of her arms.
8. Netherlands lightened the woman's hair to a bright amber color, made her thinner, and added boots and a pink bikini.
9. Peru focused on making the model's arms and tummy thinner, and changed the woman's eyes.
10. Romania shaved off a couple of inches around her body and gave her a thigh gap.
11. Not only did Serbia alter the model's body, the designer also put on heavier makeup on the model's face.
12. South Africa make the model taller and thinner with a thigh gap.
13. Spain kept the model curvy as she was, only smoothing out the texture of her skin.
14. Mexico gave the model a brown skin tone, and slimmed her down.
15. I would probably void this. Syria's designer probably sucks at photoshopping people. I don't think the designer can speak for Spain that their perception of beauty looks like a melting, hot mess.
16. The UK gave the model a trim figure and thigh gap.
17. Ukraine likes their women on the thinner side and voluminous hair.
18. Argentina cut away the tummy bulges, slimmed her down and firmed up her breasts.
19. Venezuela made each of the model's breasts larger than her own head, took in the waist a little, and have ger long wavy dark hair.
“Some designers in North, South, and Central American countries produced an exaggerated hourglass figure,” the Fractl team said. “Others in European and Asian nations chose to render her so thin that her estimated BMI, according to a survey we conducted, would fall under or dangerously close to [underweight].”
Everyone's perception of beauty differs, just because the society you are living in doesn't see you as the ideal woman doesn't mean that you are not beautiful. What matters most is that you feel comfortable in your own skin. Judging from all these drastically different submissions, it goes to show that no matter what size you are, what body shape you have, what colour your hair and skin is, there is always a place for you in the beautiful spectrum.
Here is a consolidated image of all the submissions.