Category: Current Affairs
Published on Thursday, 03 September 2015 16:03
Written by Cheryl Teo Kai Lin
Let’s all play nice, various parties have shared some really deep, emotional and thought-provoking speeches in the General Election 2015 so far, and it’s a shame if we do not emphasize on these words of selflessness, hope and wisdom.
WORKERS’ PARTY (WP)
1. “To me, the pain we have gone through is very much worth it as the pain has translated into society’s gain. Our pain is your gain.” – Faisal Manap, WP
Faisal tugging on the heartstrings of Workers’ Party supporters.
2. “My wish is for us to all feel empowered to move away from a monolithic Singapore, towards a better Singapore.” – Chen Shao Mao, WP
A hopeful and optimistic Shao Mao looking into the crystal ball.
3. “This cannot be a parent-child-children relationship. You are the shareholders of this country. You tell the Government what to do!” – Dennis Tan, WP
Preach it brother.
4. “I remember hearing this phrase many many times, ‘in Singapore, eh sai si, buey sai pua peh (we can afford to die, but can’t afford to fall sick)’ tio bo?!” – Cheryl Loh, WP
As funny as it is, it is also true, medical bills are sky high.
PEOPLE’S ACTION PARTY (PAP)
5. “Year by year we will improve your lives, even if you jeer against us, we will improve your lives. And the more you jeer, the more we will continue to improve it even more.” – Ng Eng Hen, PAP
Because the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate and Eng Hen’s gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake, shake it off, shake it off!
6. "In politics, your heart must be right. You cannot afford to be selfish, you cannot afford to cover up or play taiji, delaying problems." – Lee Hsien Loong, PAP
The big man saying it as it should be
7. "Wherever we may be, we can chase a rainbow. It may be a dream job, time with family, or a personal milestone. Having something to aspire to and reach for is an important part of being Singaporean.” – Lee Hsien Loong, PAP
PM Lee being philosophical.
SINGAPORE DEMOCRATIC PARTY (SDP)
8. “If you really want to change policy, you’ve got to be involved in Parliament so that the ministers are held accountable, so that authorities have to be forthcoming with data that is otherwise inaccessible.” - Paul Tambyah, SDP
Yes, we all want a transparent government that doesn’t hide secrets.
9. “I've been waiting for tonight when I will finally get the chance to address my fellow Singaporeans again after 15 long years. I've been invited to speak all over the world but I would trade all those events for the opportunity to address my fellow citizens in a heartbeat. The biggest insult was when they got a foreigner (I was told he was from Israel on a special assignment to the SPF) to prevent me from just getting on stage to greet my own people in my own country.” – Dr. Chee Soon Juan, SDP
The good doctor has been waiting more than a decade to make a comeback
THE REFORM PARTY (RP)
10. “We are not an elite, we are not an aristocracy, but we want to serve you.” – Kenneth Jeyaretnam, RP
It all boils down to the dedication to serve the people anyway.